Meet Dr. Gornto
Dr. Gornto brings a unique take to his counseling and teaching
Dr. R. Scott Gornto’s perspective on psychotherapy takes into account the bio-psycho-social-spiritual issues that form a holistic and complete view of the person. His developmental approach to relationships, called the Auxano Approach©, highlights how marriage and relationship(s) require us to grow ourselves up emotionally.
Additionally, his Truth About Marriage© Workshops assists couples in cultivating friendship, deepening intimacy, and improving partnership and his RQ Relational Intelligence program provides the necessary perspective C-level executives need to take their leadership skills to the next level through Relational and Emotional Intelligence.
Dr. Gornto specializes in abuse, addiction (chemical, process and relationship addiction), anxiety, anger, boundaries, coaching (business, executive, leadership, performance), codependency, communication, conflict resolution, depression, emotional intelligence, grief and loss, infidelity repair, relational intelligence, trauma (EMDR trained therapist), parenting & blended family, sexual addiction/recovery and sex therapy.
Dr. Gornto is also author of The Stories We Tell Ourselves™ (released October 2014) and is a regular columnist for the Huffington Post and Psychology Today.
At home, Dr. Gornto is an American Abstract Artist (www.gorntoart.com) and enjoys golf, soccer, tennis, scuba diving, snow skiing, and spending time with his family.
Credentials and Training
Dr. Gornto's experience is extensive and telling of his commitment to service
- Licensed by the State of Texas as a Marriage and Family Therapist
- Founder and owner in private practice at Auxano Counseling™
- Creator of the Auxano Approach© to relationships.
- Graduate of Baylor University
- Graduate of Fuller Theological Seminary – Cum Laude
- Studied Marriage and Family Therapy/Sex Therapy at Southern Methodist University
- Graduate of Texas Wesleyan University (TWU), PHD in Marriage and Family Therapy – Magna Cum Laude
- Graduate of the Clinical Residency Program in Pastoral Counseling and Psychotherapy from the Pastoral Counseling and Education Center (PCEC) in Dallas
- Certified Sex Therapist with the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT)
- EMDR Trained Trauma Therapist
- Extensive training with Rick Carson, noted expert in Existential/Gestalt Therapy
- Professional affiliations include:
- Clinical Fellow of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Board Certified Supervisor by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapist
- Former President of the Dallas Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (DAMFT)
- Served on the Advisory Board for the SMU Program of Counseling
- Licensed and ordained and is a former Church Planter and Pastor
Articles and Appearances
Dr. Gornto has appeared in the following places
- The Power of the Positive Brain (January 5, 2017)
- How and When to Talk to Your Kids About Sex (October 5, 2016)
- For More Sex in Marriage…Think About It (June 29, 2016)
- How to Rescue a Relationship (April 6, 2016)
- 3 Ways To Maintain Your Relationship When Your Spouse Hurts You (October 5, 2016)
- How To Love Your Spouse, Even When You’re Angry (June 28, 2016)
- 3 Traits of the Most Successful Leaders (April 6, 2016)
- 3 Ways to Refocus Your Marriage in 2016 (February 2, 2016)
- Spark My Muse Podcast (December 30, 2016)
- The One You Feed Podcast (July 14, 2015)
- Progress not Perfection Podcast (April 13, 2015)
- Knowledge for Men Podcast (December 2014)